Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

I'm back! (plus an MLK lesson idea and freebie)

It's been a while since I've posted. It took me a bit to get back into the swing of things after break. I've have missed blogging though, so I am happy to be back :-)

I wanted to share an activity we will be doing this week, in honor of Martin Luther King's birthday.

At my school, the second and third grades study heroes. They study people the who made a difference in this world, people in their families, communities, and the world. This all leads them to projects where they themselves get to show their heroic qualities  and work to make a difference themselves. We've done fundraising for charity, volunteering at pre-school, and public service announcements to the younger grades on bullying.

We always study Martin Luther King as well. He leads us into our famous national heroes project, where after researching several heroes,  the kids partner up and write a mock interview as if they were a famous national hero. One dresses up as the reporter, one as the hero and we film it. It's really cute.

There is a free brain pop movie on Martin Luther King I plan on showing this week.

Click here to check it out. 

I am also going to begin teaching my second graders to take notes during video or reading. They love this because it's the only time I tell them they don't have to write in complete sentences or use punctuation. We go over how when taking notes, you don't have to write everything down, but that it is important to write enough information so that you can understand it later.

The kids are going to watch the video and write down four facts they think are important in the boxes. The first time I do this activity, I pause the video half way and we share out a few facts. Kids who don't have anything written down yet can listen to their classmates and get a better idea of what they should be writing.


Click the picture to download the graphic organizer. 

I'm hoping to get back into regular blogging. I want to share what we've been doing in science, and I've got a new division packet I am super excited about that I should be posting soon. Have a wonderful week! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the brain pop tip. It's easy for me to forget that resource.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

 

Design By Sour Apple Studio | All Rights Reserved
Clipart by Stockberry Studio