Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Daily 5 Chapter 4 (and Some Freebies!)

So I've been following the Book Group over at We Read, We Blog, We Teach for the Daily 5



We Read, We Blog, We Teach


I haven't been posting on it, but I've created some freebies and also had some thoughts to share with this chapter.

This chapter was all about read to self.

The sisters had already stressed the importance of building stamina. With read to self you want to start the kids out with 3 minutes of reading. This is so that everyone can be successful. The beauty of it is kids don't really have the greatest sense of time, so you can call them to the gathering place as soon as you see someone off task. It is important to not let the student bother any one, and gather the class before that happens. Each day you add a few minutes until they can read for 30-45 minutes.

So a little about my reading block. In my school we are departmentalized for reading. I teach a mix of 2nd and 3rd grades, who read several levels above grade level. (if you do Fountas and Pinnell my kids are at S-Z)

I made the mistake of thinking that my kids were high readers and didn't need to build stamina. My thought was, they're good readers, they must love reading and be able to read for a long period of time. WRONG. Most kids can, but I always had those off task kids who would wander around and bother others and constantly need to be re-directed. I realize now this was my problem. I didn't build their stamina!

My second thought was about the 3 ways to read a book. Reading the picture, reading the words, and re-telling the story. I was thinking I could skip this lesson. I definitely understand the importance of this lesson for emergent readers. I love that those kids realize on day one, that what they've been doing all along is actually reading. But for my kids who are reading Percy Jackson, Harry Potter and yes, even The Hunger Games, is it really necessary?


So for those of you who read though my long post I have some freebies for you! Yay!

The first is a clip chart I made to monitor my students choices. You can get it at my TPT store for free. The file comes with two choices. Those cute Scrappin' Doodle Zany Zebras. (who are my unofficial class mascots for the year) or because I realize not everyone loves those zebras as much as I do, I made a Stick Kid version.



You can pick up this Clip chart by Clicking Here

The second item I made is a teacher recording sheet.

When I find out my class list I will edit it and add my students names. I want to make sure that my students are doing each of the choices on a weekly basis. So after they make their choices on the clip chart I will mark them on the recording sheet by highlighting their choice. That way is they are trying to go to listen to reading for the third time, I can let them know that they need to choose something else. 

If you think this will be useful you can get it in my TPT store for free as well by clicking here

Oh and it is in powerpoint form so you can edit it to suit your needs. 

If you take any of these items, I would love for you to leave me feedback and follow my store. 

So are you doing the daily the 5 this year? If you're an expierenced daily 5-er, do you have any advice for a newbie like me?












No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

 

Design By Sour Apple Studio | All Rights Reserved
Clipart by Stockberry Studio